At Sea: I Was Up To Nothing

June 12, 2011 § Leave a comment

7.20 am

Sitting down on one of the 300 empty seats at the stadium on deck 6 over looking the rushing waves, I felt a sudden desire to listen to Paul Cardall… or similar variations of those piano-y stuff they play in clubhouse swimming pool bathrooms.

Then I saw people running at the jogging track below, and suddenly felt an overpowering urge to throw bits of my oversweet ‘nutty nougart donut’ at them.

People huffing and puffing and jogging at the track below. My theory: that is not the best way to enjoy a cruise.

8.32 am

On the 7th day, after finishing my pile of pancakes with cream cheese and syrup (the latest obsession), i was suddenly so overcome by a severe case of boredom that all i could bare doing was to wait for the arrival of the next meal. Really, there is a limit to sitting there and doing nothing. It gets boring after a while.

I looked up from my phone. I blinked twice. I thought I for a second there was a chestnut puree dome cake with a meringue cookie on the table adjacent to ours – turned out it was a straw hat with half a bagel on top.

What a great hallucination though.

My imaginery chestnut dome cake on the farthest right table. I assure you, it looked closer to a chestnut dome cake in real life.

Who the hell puts bagels on top of their hats. Really.


1.21  pm
I walked out on to deck 16, the deck of infinite tanning chairs – and was slammed by a gush of powerful wind. With my hair and my calf length black cardigan whipping like torn flags around me, I felt a bit like a nomad making her way across the sahara in front of a row of tanned limbs and curious eyes. My Ann Dem flatforms somewhat acted like sails against the wind, so I kept cross legging and half tripping like a newly born baby deer.  After three steps, someone shouted ‘I love your hair!’

I tried to push that Willow Smith song out of my head before it could autoplay itself.

I gave up and flopped down on the nearest empty tanning chair.

Lunch could wait.

Half an hour. Two hours. Two and a half hours. I was still waiting for the wind to stop.

Or me to get sick of the songs on my ipod.

Or people to leave.

Starving. I just wanted someone, something to run out before I do.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading At Sea: I Was Up To Nothing at THE OTHER TALKING RAT.


%d bloggers like this: